I love making homemade cereal bars, nutty granola bars, flapjacks and various slices for times when my energy levels are teetering on the edge.
For me, these are perfect; they’re cheap and you can make a decent batch in around 10 minutes – no serious elbow grease required. Secondly, they’re all completely natural and nutritious. This is good to know following recent news that some so-called ‘healthy’ cereal bars contain 40% sugar.
Always bake your own if you ask me!
Makes 8 – 10 individual servings
- 150g cashew nuts, dry roasted*
- 200g pitted dates
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- a pinch of salt
*On roasting: aim to roast the nuts for around 15 minutes at 150C
- Combine the nuts and dates in a food processor and pulse until a grainy mixture is formed
- Tip in the powdered spices, cocoa, salt and vanilla extract; pulse again
- The mixture may appear too ‘grainy’ i.e. dry – if so, add the 2 tbsp of boiling water to make a sticky mixture.
- Once the desired consistency is reached tip the mixture out into a flat dish or Tupperware box lined with cling film or baking parchment. Press down and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge, slice into small servings and dig in!
- See also: Peanut butter and date flapjacks